Sunday, January 6, 2013

My love for a good Mason Jar!

I'm a West Virginia girl and besides my usual likes, beans and cornbread, sweet tea, Hillbilly Hotdog, and cowgirl boots, I also love Mason Jars! Growing up, I assumed the only thing you used a Mason Jar for was to drink sweet tea or Moonshine out of, or pickle something in. . .yum to all three!! Now that I'm a little older and a little wiser, I've followed in my mother's footsteps and have ventured into the world of  DIY'ers. I've been inspired over the last year to look for ways in which to reuse items we have around the apartment. Lenny and I  have become the King and Queen of finding curbside gems in NYC, (if you want to find cool art, take a stroll in the East Village before trash pickup and you're bound to find a painting that an art student has deemed unworthy). This new found love of all things reused and re-invented got me thinking about Mason Jars. A good WV girl has a plethora of MJ's, in various sizes, just sitting in cabinets waiting to be used. What to do with all that goodness? Well, take a gander at some of the cool ideas I have found. . .

First up. . . Mason Jar wine glasses!!! Merging two of my favorite things, wine and MJ's. I actually got some of these for my friends T. Stacey and Jim, (two amazing men raised below the Mason/Dixon Line), and they loved them!!! If you decided to make these yourself, all you need is 1). Mason Jar 2). Crazy glue 3). Candle Stick base for the bottom.



Next up. . .Festive Flower Vases! Why buy another flower vase when all you need is your trusty MJ and some earth friendly paint. This is an easy project that is great to do with kids. You can get their inner Picasso to take flight by having them paint their own masterpieces on each jar. They'll be creating and  learning about recycling all at the same time. These are definitely happening in our apartment! Make sure to check with your local art store for glass and environment friendly paints. 



One of my favorite ideas for the city. . .Mason Jar Herb Garden!! How perfect are these!?!? One thing I miss about West Virginia is my closeness to nature. Don't get me wrong, NYC is amazing, but sometimes I need to smell something Earthy, instead of concrete. These are a great idea for a small kitchen window and require nothing but love, dirt, water, and seeds. These are mounted in a very rustic chic way, but you could simply place the MJ's in a window. 


Yes to these. . .Mason Jar Salads!! The Earth friendly answer to a McShaker Salad. This is a great idea for anyone looking to make a big salad at the beginning of the week, while still wanting to take that salad to work everyday. Also, this is a way cheaper idea than going out and buying containers. Not to mention, it's a better investment for you and the environment than those pesky carcinogen leaking plastic containers. 


These are just a few of my favorite ideas, but the Internet is alive with MJ ideas for all occasions and settings. I bet my MawMaw Taylor never realized what her beloved Mason Jars would one day evolve into, than again I find that our ancestors were a little more Eco-wise than we are today. So, next time your sitting on your porch, fire escape, or balcony, take time to enjoy nature, breath in the air, and sip some tea out of one of the best inventions ever made, my beloved Mason Jar. 

Happy Saving!

Laura




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home