Monday, October 24, 2011

"You say you want a revolution..."

OM Shanti Readers!!!

This week I had the great pleasure of doing my first Eco Teen discussion at Intergral Yoga in NYC. Thanks to my wonderful friend Erin Wilson (fellow Karma Kids Yogi), I got to spend some time with the inspiring students of James Baldwin High School, talking about everything from GMO's to Shark Fining. These kids definitely gave me a great gleam of hope for our future. Their questions and energy inspired me to take greater leaps in my own environmental journey, and for that I am so very thankful. This post is dedicated to them and I hope the links, books, and DVDs will help to further their fire!!!


We began our discussion with a word association game. I said a word and they responded by telling me the first words that came to their minds when hearing my word. Here are a few examples:

Me: Organic
Class: expensive, healthy, fruits, vegetables, etc.

Me: McDonalds
Class: bangin', greasy, clogged arteries, good, French fries

Me: global warming
Class: republicans, ice melting, pollutioMn, bad


We continued this game for a few more minutes, while I threw out new words like factory farming, finning, GMOs, Wall St., ect. Already I could see their enthusiasm at wanting to discuss these matters. It was from this jumping off point that we began to talk about Organics and their costs. Let's face it, Organics are expensive and sometimes it feels like only the rich can afford them. My point of view being that " healthy foods should be a right shared by all people, not a privilege for the rich", (this too can be said for healthcare). We began talking about changes to the system and how WIC programs are being accepted at Farmers Markets and health food stores.

Eventually we got to to a point where we started to see the bridge that connects factory farming to many of their favorite fast food chains, like MacDonalds. It was at this point that the question was asked, "if we're aware of the horrible conditions at factory farms, then why is no one doing anything about it?". That's when I began talking about "voting" with your fork. As long as the demand is there, they will continue to supply. Demand better, and they will have to change. MacDonalds can not survive without us, if we stop going, they will be forced to listen to the people.

By the end of our discussion, I could tell a fire had been lit. They were eager to learn how they could make a change and that made the future look very bright indeed!!!


Thank you James Baldwin High school for inspiring this green girl to become even More green.

Here are a list of books, DVDs, and links that have inspired me and my hope is that they continue to inspire others:

Jane Goddall's HARVEST FOR HOPE
Susan Casey's THE DEVILS TEETH
Michael Pollan's THE OMNIVORES DILEMMA
Alexandra Zissu's THE CONSCIENCE KITCHEN

www.seasheperd.org
www.sharksavers.org
www.tree hugger.com
www.wwf.org


DVDs

FOOD, INC
NO IMPACT MAN
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH
THE 11th HOUR
FORKS OVER KNIVES


Happy Saving!!
Laura

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home