Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Now's the time for dreams

As I sit in a coffee shop in Milwaukee, I begin to daydream about dreams that I've had on the back burner and why I haven't allowed for those dreams to come to the front of the stove. Usually the excuses come creeping up fast and clear...no time, too expensive, not realistic, etc. But when I place these excuses on paper I begin to ask myself, " Did atomic energy seem that realistic when Niels Bohr first dreamt it up?". What does it take for us to make our dreams a reality?

The dreams of my youth are not the same dreams of my adulthood, but they are also no less important and achievable. One dream I have is to start an environmental yoga movement within public schools, but why do I continue to stall out on this very important dream? I've decided to get inspired from other big dreamers.

Everyday I'm inspired by the dreamers that took their vision to the next level. One dreamer that is inspiring the world and me is Blake Mycoskie. In 2006, Mycoskie took a vacation to Argentina. While there he noticed that children were without shoes (making them more susceptible to disease). After much brainstorming he created TOMS shoes (toms.com) which to date has supplied the worlds impoverished children with over a million pairs of shoes. For each pair of shoes bought TOMS gives away a pair to impoverished kids. In his new book, START SOMETHING THAT MATTERS, Mycoskie gives advice on starting your own projects that make a major positive impact on the earth and its communities. True to his fashion, every book sold TOMS gives a book to a child. Now that's what I call dream power!!!!

This is just one example of dreams and one exceptional great dreamer. There are hundreds and hundreds of great dreamers throughout history. And like people, dreams come in all shapes and sizes. As the weather begins to change and the fall season approaches, I encourage you to dust off some old dreams and see what changes you can make, wether they be in your life or in the life of this planet and its inhabitants.

Happy Saving...(and dreaming :)
Laura


Who inspires you? Try making list of all the great dreamers that you admire and see how they made their dreams a reality.

"I have dreams and I have nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams". - Jonas Salk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home