Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Autumn. . . a free form of Therapy!

As I sit here today, in the hospital, I can't help but feel inspired. Clearly inspiration has hit, since I am writing my first blog post in over 9 months. However, the inspiration I feel has come from what I see outside the room window. . .Fall. Plain and simple. Fall.



It's officially Fall here in the Midwest, so the trees have changed to magnificent colors of red, burgundy, gold, and yellows. There's crispness in  the air and apples all around. Football season is in full swing, school is in session, and PSL's are being made at every coffee house across the country.

Fall is my favorite time of year, by far. I'm a creature who looks forward to Halloween more than Christmas, I like to curl up with a hot coffee and a good book. . .outside, and I love the feeling of new beginnings that Fall brings. This last statement is a bit confusing, since we tend to view the changing of the season as the beginning transition to winter. A time of isolation, death, and deep sleep, before the renewal of birth in the Spring. However, I have always looked at Fall as a time when new promises begin. I feel my most creative in the fall, as though every artistic juice has waited until this moment to begin to flow out of me. I want to start new projects, new adventures, I want to see every bit of Nature before Winter sets in and the chill freezes everything.

Ask anyone and chances are Fall is their favorite season or at least their second favorite. And with Nature creating a bounty of goodness for us to share in, it's no wonder why we venture outside in crisp apple picking weather.

As I keep working toward my goal of being a runner. . .again (thank you Annie Foster, for  constantly reminding and inspiring me that I can do it), I also am pushing myself to get outside and hike, bike, and just enjoy glorious smells that surround each tree during this season. It's the cheapest form of therapy. Before prescription drugs, there was Nature as a healer. Let's face it, in this economy, finding cheaper forms of effective healthcare are a must.

I know that it seems strange that I should write about the healing properties of Fall, when my husband is in a hospital bed receiving man made treatment, but the truth is. . .his outlook on the whole situation is better thanks to the glorious view of Nature we have beside his bed.

So, if your having a bad day today, try lacing up a good pair of shoes and step outside. There's always room for prescription drugs, but I truly believe that if you pair it with the healing properties of nature, you will be well on your way to a happier, healthier life.

Happy Saving!

Laura


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home